Epipremnum aureum money plant care
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Epipremnum aureum money plant care
Lady Mary Theresa Doyle on the history of the Garter King’s
Stirrup.How can we get rid of it?Gloriana, the Royal
Badminton in full Members’ coats, scarlet and blue velvet.Egerton Palace, the Bishop
of Chester’s Garter.As of the Garter stalloon, clad with Tudor roses
and vair, the invention of Garter King of Arms.The general
weakening of the Court and the coming of the Civil War of 1642-6
destroyed it for ever.Few people realised, at the time, how the
power of the King had dwindled and how little it mattered who had
crowned him, so long as he was kept alive.It was not until the seventeenth
century that the Garter was revived.
On the right is a royal warrant confirming, on 3 June 1666, the grant by King Charles II to Charles
Yare of "a badge or token of the same in
new lace to be a King's Garter and gilt upon his
armes for ever." The issue
of the original blazoned "Serene Crown" has not been determined
but a current blazon of a crowned fist is more likely to have been
given, bearing in mind the unfortunate
Charles' fist in his last will.
The Gentleman Usher of the Chamber to the King, who held this position from 1553-1588, wore on his
right arm a gilt garter. He was also a Garter Knight of the
Order of the Garter and this post was recorded as early as 1326
when Sir Thomas Fitzallen was garter knighted. He may have been the
grandfather of Lady Mary Theresa.
The Garter would not have been granted to any commoner, therefore,
it must have been an award that came with the office of King's
Chamberlain. Its origin is not known. The Dorset Herald records,
"Garter" are "Donned at Blackfriars, London, between the
twentieth day of December and the first of January," in 1672.
"Garter" appeared in the very first registration of the Garter
Knights, in 1326.
It was an established custom in the Middle Ages for gentlemen to
wear red ribbons in their garter. As it was very expensive, a
companion badge, signifying rank and office, was created, and as
early as the 12th century, the Garter was thus an honorary award,
given by the King, of high rank and office. "The Garter" had
been described by Thomas Hardy (1840) as "an honour bestowed on a
military officer, knight or esquire by the King, as a sign of his
royal favour, his warlike services or the high degree of
distinction in which he stood." "In England, the King, at his
own accession, grants it, and the practice is not unknown in
Germany and other countries."
The heraldic garter is 'a strap of linen or silk, fringed and
crocheted or knotted, the lower edge having a more or less open
hook or fork to receive it, and the outer edge of a cord.' Since
this was a badge given to high-ranking officials in medieval
England, it is not surprising that Garter Knights were titled
"Lord Garter." Later on, the Order of the Garter was named after
There is a record of the King wearing the Garter on 1 May 1642 and
again on 20 May 1660. It is more likely that this is the origin of
the Garter after 1660, for there is no reason why Charles II should
have worn it on the latter date. The Order of the Garter was
dissolved in April 1661, and as this badge was not revived until
after the Restoration of Charles II, the 1660 date is to be
associated with the celebration of the Restoration. The badge
would not have been handed out again until this date because of
the desire of Charles II to encourage all former Garters and
Knights to remain in the country and follow the King's
Charles II also revived the Royal Badge of the St George Cross and
Rhodes' Cross in 1660 and with them, the Royal Standard.
"Arms" are shown herewith: A rose Garter, barry wavy of three
argent and gules between four crosses pattee, of the field. The
arrow and saltire is the Royal Arms of England (The Royal
Arms of Scotland is not shown for reasons of parity with the
Arms of the Crown of England). The rose is the Garter of the
Order of the Garter.
The date is inscribed in M.G.R. on a shield of arms surmounted by the Garter
and crowned with the same. This style was used for private
individuals and only Garters were able to wear it.
The date is inscribed on the arms of Garter and of Baronets (for
gentlemen with hereditary titles) and knights of the Garter.
The four bars, lower division, in red, indicate a barony in
The word "Arms" is inscribed in Garter and over a cinquefoil
golden in a proper mount or helmet, with wings.
The earliest trace of the Garter in England is in the arms of
Archbishop's Palace of Winchester, as patron of the Garter
Lodge, one of the principal governing bodies of the Order of the
Garter. In 1448, John Rushbrooke, Archbishop of York, granted the
palace and lands to St Leonard's Hospital in Southwark, who
subsequently became a college of priests called "The King's
Chapel" - The King's Hospital of St Leonard. It became more
important when the